ALFRED SMITH aka PUMA SALAD PART 2 GEAR & WISDOMS
• Kind Bars
• Lara Bars
• Zpacks Triplex
• Sea to Summit Aeros Pillow
• Therm-a-rest Neo Air
• Therm-a-Rest Z Rest – Cut Down Sleeping Mat
• This American Life Podcast
• Monte Blanc Hike
• Re-Supply Points
• When you’re hiking and you go to sit down and you’re two days in on a six day carry, there’s nothing worse then realizing that you hate every piece of food you have…
there’s nothing worse than being out and knowing that you have nothing to eat that
you actually want to put in your mouth.
• I think food is one of the biggest games on the PCT. Knowing what you like, dialling it in. But don’t go too crazy and mail yourself 30 boxes of the food you like today,
because six weeks from now you’re going to hate it.
• I think you’ll lose a lot if you hike with someone the whole way. You’ll lose so much cause you’ll never go… you’ll never take that swan dive into yourself.
• FYI – first thing you do if you ever ford a river, you should always have your pack undone. If you ever fall in, you need to take it off immediately. Cause it will take you.
You have to let it go.
• It is a journey. It is a serious adventure and a lot of times it will be sunny
days and amazing walks and climbs and vistas. And lunch breaks like you’ve
never had lunch breaks before. And some days it’s gonna take you to the brink
because if it didn’t would it be worth doing.
• Embrace the suck.
• I think we all are kinda doing that, even underneath the façade of goals…
we’re all just trying to live and be. And the PCT will bring that to you, if you let it.
It’s like any messenger, if you shut it out you won’t get it but if you open up and let it in,
the PCT will fill your heart with everything.
• You must live your life. You must take leaps. You must live!
• Get the best gear you can possibly afford. Buy gear once.
• If you’re gonna buy ultra light gear, you must know how to take care of things.
You don’t buy a Maserati and take it to Jiffy Lube.
• Once you are on the path, you are the path.