ANDREW BLUBAUGH aka SEMPER FI GEAR & WISDOMS
• Iodine Solution Polar Pure
• MSR Canister Stove
• Cloudburst 3 Tarp Tent
• Big Agnes Quilt
• Therm-a-Rest NeoAir
• I think socks are just as important, if not more important than shoes. People tend to over wear their socks and they get thread bare and then they’re wondering why their feet hurt.
• I want him (son) to experience it because it taught me so much about life. I met so many great people from all over the world, from all different walks of life and I think that was better than the year I spent in college before I dropped out. You become self-sufficient. You learn how to talk to people. The art of hitchhiking and knowing what’s a good situation and what’s a bad situation. Managing your money so that you can make it home.
• Whether it was back then or now, you’ve got to compromise (on your gear choices) because if you’re not happy out there, you’re not going to have a good time.
• Just know what you’re out there for and take one step at a time.
• What I would tell people is really figure out what you have to do to finish the trail. Some people don’t. They just think that they see other people and they’re like “Oh, they said they have to do 20’s to get in by a certain time.” A lot of the trails, as long as you’re easy on those zero days and you’ve gotta do some big days here and there, but for the most part as long as you stay consistent you’ll still get done at the same time. So worry more about your morale with good food, making sure you’re gear is good and that you’re enjoying yourself. And the whole experience will come together.