MATT BERGER aka SHERIFF WOODY GEAR & WISDOMS
• Dirty Girl Gaiters
• High Sierra 30L
• Pa’lante Simple Pack
• Enlightened Equipment Quilt
• Gossamer Gear Sleeping Pad
• Wild Oasis Tarp Tent
NAVIGATION & MESSAGING APPS
• Guthook App
CAMERA & FILMING EQUIPMENT
• Sony Rx100
• Sony A6000 – Stock Lens
I just had a big trash bag filled with food. I’ll pull out whatever looks good at the moment. I have no dinner or breakfast food. It’s just some chips, beef jerky, dried fruit, lots of nuts. I’m big into pecans, walnuts, pistachios. … Throw the food that tastes best in your mouth at the moment.
• It’s really, really exciting to have just been walking for 100 miles. You’re really, really hungry. You just dream about food all day and the food you can get, and then you walk into Safeway or any big grocery store…ohhhh. And you just “What do I want? I can have anything.”
• I think protein is the hardest thing to get because all of the good protein is really expensive. I’m a poor hiker. Buying beef jerky for every resupply, it just costs too much. So I guess most of my protein comes from eating nuts…. or tuna.
• What is my main go to that I crave? Ben & Jerry’s ice cream for sure.
That is definitely the number 1 thing that I want. All of them. I love them all!
• Did your Sawyer Squeeze last the entire trail(s)? It does depend on the water quality on the trail. On the PCT, I got by the whole time with a Sawyer Squeeze Mini. Just one of them, but I think that’s probably pretty abnormal. And it was not moving fast by the time we got done, but it worked.
• If you’re not using it, get rid of it.
• I carried my passport with me the whole way on the PCT and CDT. I think most people ship it to themselves in a food box, if they have food boxes. Or just mail it to themselves. It doesn’t weigh that much.
If you have a felony or a DUI or anything like that, you’re just not allowed to come into Canada. So, then you’ve got to walk back to the nearest road and get a hitch out.
• The AT is really surprisingly difficult and hard on your body. It’s just logistically not as difficult, not as remote.
Any type of small gaiter that just covers the top of your shoe. You don’t want anything that goes underneath. Some gaiters have a strap that goes underneath the foot of the shoe, which is going to get worn away. That won’t last long.