DERICK LUGO aka MR. FABULOUS GEAR & WISDOMS
CAMERA & FILMING EQUIPMENT
• “Flip Flop Flipping” Documentary
• Lyme Disease
• The first day I did eight (miles) and second day I did eight. So for it, was a five to six month activity, not a five to six day activity. I didn’t want to hurt myself. I wasn’t sure how I was going to adjust.
• The people change it for me. The hikers, the small towns that I hit, hiker friendly towns, trail magic,
trail angels. All that changed my mindset. I went into it thinking it was just a hike.
That I was going to go…hike Georgia to Maine. Nothing matters. I’m just going to go – march on.
But then those lovely people had to change things.
• It started off as a challenge and ended up being the most amazing experience I’ve ever had.
• The word love is one thing that I use a lot more than I did before I thru hiked.
• I realized early on that the best thing you can give people that are giving you trail magic is to tell them your story. Tell them your experience.
• I learned everything about hiking, camping the first two days - what I needed to get me going.
• I remember that day like it was yesterday. And there was a hiker, I looked over at him and I was like
“I don’t know how I’m going to do this” and he was like “One step at a time.” He made it that simple.
• As much as you think during the time that you’re doing it, that it’s not amazing – it’s not extraordinary. When you’re done with it, you did something magical.