JAKE CARR aka SPUR PART 1 GEAR & WISDOMS
• Osprey Atmos 65
• Nemo Pad
• Big Agnes Sleeping Pad
• Klymit Sleeping Pad
• REI Igneo Bag
• MSR Hubba NX Tent
• Sole Insoles
• Superfeet Insoles – Green
• Merrell Moab
• Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape
• Buy a smaller pack than you think you’re going to need cause then you have to force to fit stuff inside of it. If you have 65L of space, you’ll fill it with something.
• It turns out all those people who wrote about how transformative nature is since the beginning of time, they’ve all been right…
• There were so many things I bought to start off with that I eventually ended up having to upgrade to a lighter version. You pay for what you get. I skimped on some money to buy maybe a more value item but then realized that I needed something that was half the bulk for coat-wise or whatever. And then I had to spend all this money upgrading stuff. Everybody will change their gear all the time. To be able to change based on preference and not based on oh I bought the completely wrong thing, that’ll be a big money saver.
• The snow days felt for me like a man I’m really doing it day.
• When you find somebody who sucks, you just gotta turn the volume down.
• Along the way it’s no hard feelings. You really gotta roll with your momentum. Like whatever pace you feel good at both within the day just your daily hiking…you gotta move at the pace that feels good. Also in relation to the whole marathon, you gotta go with what feels good. And if people are moving way to fast for you, you gotta know when to say “Sorry guys I just gotta move slower. Maybe we can meet up in that other town. I’ll try to catch up with you, but I can’t gas myself out.”
• I love a comfortable silence.
• One of the biggest things I took away from the hike in general is how do I talk to myself when I’m feeling challenged. What is my inner conversation? Am I a cheerleader or am I kicking my own ass for no reason.